Tour de Riesling Rail Trail – Cycling Clare Valley
Enjoy cycling the off road, safe and relatively flat Riesling Rail Trail with Tour de Vines and have all the logistics done for you, whilst you visit some of the best cellar doors and food outlets in Australia. This self guided 3 day/2 night tour gives you the flexibility of choosing your own dates and cycling the Riesling Rail Trail at your own pace.
Cycling the Riesling Rail Trail
The Riesling Rail Trail in the Clare Valley is a packed gravel surface, high quality cycling trail, suitable for all levels of riders and easy enough for non-riders too. The Rail Trail is dotted with amazing cellar doors, food stops and gorgeous rolling vineyards as a constant backdrop. This Clare Valley tour takes care of all the logistics for you, so all you need to do is cycle the Rail trail, stop for the odd wine tasting, enjoy the included lunches (and they are amazing!) and arrive at your accommodation with your bags delivered for you. Bikes can be hired through us, or you can BYO, and everything is taken care of for you.
The cycling distances on both days of your tour are around the 30kms, and mostly flat, so this tour is categorised as ‘easy’, or beginner. But even if you don’t cycle or want to keep up with your regular cycling friends, we now offer ebikes! These battery charged bikes ride and look like a normal hybrid bike, and come with a pedal assist technology, meaning the bike can sense when you need an extra boost and provide a little bit of assistance through your pedalling. Arrive at lunch with a smile!
Clare Valley Food & Wine
Your Riesling Rail Trail cycling tour also includes 2 x amazing gourmet lunches, and these are a highlight. The highly regarded Skillogalee restaurant provides an exclusive a la carte menu for our guests. Of course this is on top of all the delightful wines you will get to taste as you cycle from cellar door to cellar door. You can prepare which you’d like to visit before your tour or check event weekends on the Clare Valley website. The Clare Valley is regarded as one of Australia’s premier food and wine hubs, and the Riesling Rail Trail has you cycling right past these amazing gourmet experiences, the perfect way to earn your calories!
What’s Included in your Riesling Rail Trail Tour:
- 2 nights quality accommodation (Auburn and Clare)
- 2 x winery lunches including full 2 course lunch at renowned Skillogalee
- 1 x bistro dinner (1st night), 1 x cooked breakfast + 1 x continental breakfast
- All wine tastings
- Luggage transfers on both days
- Bike hire (optional extra) drop off and pick up with helmets (you can BYO)
- On call support throughout
- Printed itinerary, marked maps provided with all directions and tips
- Environmentally friendly cycling water bottle
- Fair trade lightweight cycling t-shirt ideal for outdoor activity
- Lunch at the iconic Skillogalee Winery
- The rolling vineyards scenery and the well laid Riesling Rail Trail
- Wine tastings at some of Australia's best wineries, including world class Rieslings.
- Afternoon platters and stunning views from O'Leary Walker Wines
- The history and cellar door museum at Sevenhills Winery
Itinerary at a glance
Own transport to Auburn (start of the Clare Valley) and dinner at the iconic Rising Sun Hotel. Overnight in Auburn
After breakfast, we jump on our bikes and head into the Clare Valley following the easy gradient of the Riesling Rail Trail. Stopping at a number of wineries for tastings and after admiring the charming rural scenery, we arrive for our lunch at Skillogalee. A long lunch and we are back on the Rail Trail heading into the town Clare itself, for our overnight stay. Cycling distance: 35kms
Following a slightly different route, today is another day of cellar door visits in the Clare Valley and enjoying the beautiful cycling on the Riesling Rail Trail. A sumptuous lunch at O'Leary Walker Wines along with across the valley views, we cycle into Auburn. Cycling distance: 30kms
Testimonials & reviews"We had a fantastic time last weekend and would highly recommend it"
Therese G, Adelaide, Nov 15