The word ‘gourmet’ gets mentioned a lot nowadays, perhaps often in a loose context. But I can categorically announce that the food provided in the Alpine Valley and North East region of Victoria is top notch, certified, ‘nom nom’, 100% gourmet!
Take for example the platters we enjoy on our Tour de Murray to Mountains Rail Trail. Provided at the Gapstead winery cellar door, this platter contains the following:
- 3 styles of cheese sourced from the Milawa Cheese factory locally (blue, soft and tasty)
- Duck liver pate, amazing!
- Pork terreine with tomato relish
- 2 types of cold meats, usually Italian salami and prosciutto again supplied locally
- Olive and capsicum anti pasta
- EV Olive Oil (local) and artisan bread
- Dried fruit and nuts
- Fresh mango, orange and other seasonal fruit pieces
Wash that down with a lovely French Petit Manseng or perhaps an exotic Russian Saperavi red.
Is that gourmet? We think so!