Cycling Tour Canal du Midi France
This cycling tour Canal du Midi in France is one of our favourites. The cycling on this tour is graded as easy, mainly flat roads and canal paths, with lots of coastal aspects, peppered with fascinating villages, including the UNESCO listed Carcassonne.
And of course, the food and wine. Unsurprisingly for France, this region has a strong wine growing culture. Wine varieties include a Rosé called Vin de Sable, or the crisp white of Picpoul de Pinet an ideal match to the local shellfish dishes. Near Pézénas there are prestigious vineyards producing full bodied reds, and further south are the sparkling wines of Limoux.
We visit some amazing French towns and villages on this cycling tour, and the variety is wonderful. A highlight is the UNESCO listed town of Carcassonne. The striking Citadelle of Carcassonne at the end of the tour was plundered for building materials until it was restored to glory in the early nineteenth century and is now one of the most visited sites in France.
EXCLUSIVE: Travelling via Paris? Tour de Vines is offering those who book a French cycling holiday before 31 December the preceding year an exclusive cycling day tour of Paris complete with an expert local guide. Visit the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dam and many more highlights. This offer for your French cycling holiday is exclusive to Tour de Vines.
- Visit to Marseillan with a tasting at Noilly Prat
- Two nights in the ancient town of Beziers
- Fantastic sea views around the Etang de Thau
- Easy cycling tour along the tree shaded Canal du Midi
- The astonishing medieval fortress of Carcassonne
- Flexible collection from local airport or train station & onward transfers
- Quality bicycles and helmets (if required)
- Water bottles (to take home as souvenirs)
- Detailed riding instructions and colour route maps
- Charming 3* (occassionally 4*) auberges, inns and hotels
- Gourmet dinners for all 6 nights of your holiday
- Fine wine (or soft drink alternative) with all evening meals and coffee to follow
- 2 experienced bilingual guides with each tour
- Delivery of your luggage to your hotel room each day
- Entry fees to attractions and historical sites
- An unforgettable experience!
Canal du Midi France Tour Dates 2021:
- 16 - 22 May
- 19 - 25 September
COVID Safe Practices apply to this tour, specifically:
- All guests are provided with face masks to be worn when in common areas and on any bus transfers
- All guests are provided with personal hand sanitiser for usage during the tour
- All equipment is sanitised pre and post every use including bikes and bus surfaces
- Venues visited (eg accommodation) adhere to COVID safe hygiene and social distancing rules (when last checked)
Tour de Vines has been running tours in since 2002 and has been awarded the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020 and is now a Hall of Fame inductee. You can be assured we are a quality operator and want nothing more than for you to have an amazing travel experience.
Fabulous, we enjoyed it all. The guides were extremely accommodating - we'll certainly do this again!
Itinerary at a Glance
Arrive Sete, wonder this lovely town, meet your guides and fellow riders, enjoy restaurant dinner.
Cycling via Etang de Thau, break at Marseillan before heading to Beziers where we stay the night.
Meet a local guide for a walking tour of Bezier before a circular ride to the seaside town of Valras. Take a dip in the Med before returning to Beziers for the night.
Heading south towards Canal du Midi, visit the village of Colombiers before going up to the Oppidum d'Enserune with amazing views of the Lac de Montady. Chateau hotel accommodation this evening.
Visit the scenic village of Minerve then ride through the hills to Siran where we spend the night. A thrilling descent from Magnetic Hill into Siran, choose to turn around and climb back up or sit back and relax by the pool.
A gorgeous day of Canal cycling heading to the stunning UNESCO village of Carcassonne. A final group dinner and exploration of this amazing town.
Sad farewells and onward transfers as required.
Frequently Asked Questions
Group tours are great for making new friends and sharing an amazing experience. Tours in France have a maximum of 16 guests, a good size to ensure a level of personal service. Minimum 6 guests.
We encourage all guests to join in and cycle with the group however there is a minibus travelling along with the group that is available for anyone at any point during the day. The bus will take you for as long or as little as you wish.
Unfortunately we cannot guarantee the weather however dates are selected to be optimal for cycling - not too hot and not too cold! Considering the region and the temperate climate, it would be unlucky to experience more than one wet day.