Tour de Cognac and Atlantic Coast – France Cycling Tour
Join this 7 day cycling tour on the Atlantic Coast of France and enjoy a journey through medieval towns with beautifully preserved structures dating back from the 12th – 18th centuries. With our experienced guides on hand, we learn about the fascinating history as we cycle through quiet farmlands, riverside villages and rolling countryside. Graded as easy (2/10 difficulty), this fabulous and diverse tour is suitable for all levels of cycling experience.
Travel in classic French style as we stay in lovely chateau accommodations, soak up the sun in charming terraced cafes and cobbled streets and sample some of the region’s best gourmet offerings. Being largely coastal, think fresh fish and produce, local lamb and beef, goats cheese and of course the Cognac brandy the region is famous for.
Cycling along the Charente River, experience the quaint, old port city of La Rochelle (know as the White City) on the south west coast of France and as well as historic Rochefort. The region has a significant naval history and it is on display throughout. Taste the famous local brandy and local wine including a specialty called Pineau des Charentes (a fortified sweet wine) on this fully guided, small group tour. An experience you won’t want to miss!
What’s Included in this Cycling Tour:
- Charming 3*/4* accommodation in auberges, inns and hotels
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Quality Trek bicycle with new helmets (if required)
- Environmentally friendly cycling water bottles
- 2 experienced bilingual guides with you througouut
- Support vehicle follows the group so you can rest at any time
- Daily luggage transfers and purchase pick ups
- Detailed riding instructions and colour route maps if you want to go on ahead at your own pace
- Buffet style breakfasts with croissants, pastries, meats, cheeses and cereals
- Restaurant standard dinners for each night on tour
- Fine wine (or soft drink alternative) with all evening meals and coffee to follow
- Entry fees to attractions and historical sites
- Enjoy cycling in a fun, social group of like minded travellers
This cycling tour of the Atlantic Coast of France is a classic, and not to be missed. Places are strictly limited for each tour.
Cycling Tour Atlantic Coast France Tour 2020 Dates:
31st May – 6th June
5th – 12th July
*see all our France cycling tours here
- Visit historic Rochefort and the beautiful old port town of La Rochelle
- Taste the fame Cognac brandy on a guided visit to Courvoisier distillery
- Cycling along the gently meandering Charente river
- Enjoy a boat trip round the Ile d'Aix and historic Fort Boyard
- The fun of cycling in a group and making new friends!
Itinerary at a glance
Collection from train station and transfer to our hotel in the Charentais countryside. Set up bikes and go for a short ride before having some free time in the afternoon and our first gourmet dinner.
Begin our cycling along the Charente River. Visit the Abbaye de Bassac before lunch in the riverside village of Jarnac. A highlight guided visit and tasting at the Courvoisier distillery then stay the night in Cognac. Cycling distance 43kms
Travel north across the countryside and enjoy a picnic lunch. Ride into Saintes and visit one of the oldest arenas in the province, the Roman Amphitheatre, dating back to 40AD. Spend the night in Saintes. Cycling distance 46kms
Visit Chateau of La Roche Courbon resorted to reflect the furnishings of the 17th and 18th century, then cycle into Rochefort where we will stay for 2 nights. Cycling distance 47kms
No need to pack as we stay another night in Rochefort. Experience the 19th century Le Pont Transbordeur (transporter bridge) and visit the village of Hiers-Brouage before heading back to Rochefort. Cycling distance 48kms
Cycle towards the Atlantic Ocean to the old port of La Rochelle where we spend the night. Take a boat ride from the famous harbour and enjoy a free afternoon the explore before dinner. Cycling distance 44kms
Enjoy our last breakfast, say goodbye and transfer to the train station for your onward journey