Cycling Tour McLaren Vale – Day Tour
This brilliant Cycling Tour McLaren Vale, only a short distance from Adelaide City (in South Australia named one of Lonely Planets Best Cities to Travel), combines easy downhill cycling with winery visits and tastings, lunch and the gorgeous vineyard and coastal scenery of this region. McLaren Vale is rightly a famous wine region and is growing into a gourmet hub, and is an ideal day trip from Adelaide. Rolling vineyards that drop down to sandy beaches and the mighty Southern Ocean over the horizon, with a tasty shiraz and cheese platter to savour. This cycling tour McLaren Vale is fairly leisurely and is suitable for anyone that cycles occasionally, or perhaps hasn’t ridden a bike for years but is keen for a bit of activity. Everything is provided, so all you need to do is be ready in the morning, have a set of comfortable clothing to cycle in and bring your sense of adventure and fun.
The cycling in McLaren Vale is fun and relatively easy. You will cover around 25-30kms with optional add on rides if the group decides. The first section of the tour is cycling flat dirt tracks inside the Kuitpo Forest, looking out for koalas and other wildlife which are commonly seen. It’s great fun. You then jump onto the quiet backroads for a downhill ride into the vineyards of McLaren Vale itself. Your guide will point out some of the best cellar doors and we can stop at these for tastings. A lunch stop is scheduled soon after to enjoy a gorgeous platter at a local winery. A little bit of cycling after lunch and perhaps a stop at another cellar door to finish off a fun day of cycling, wildlife spotting, scenery and wine tastings. The bus will meet you, collect the bikes and head back to Adelaide.
- New, well maintained mountains bikes (make sure you let us know your height/s)
- Pick up and drop off in downtown Adelaide (drive takes about 45mins – 1hr each way)
- Delicious platter style lunch or picnic in the vines.
- All cellar door visits and tastings are included (no tasting fees)
- Fully guided and supported throughout so you don’t have to worry about bikes, directions or anything at all really.
- A maximum group size of 10 means an intimate experience at the wineries and more personal attention from your guide.
This Cycling Tour McLaren Vale runs on Fridays and Sundays, with Wednesdays also added during peak season. Other days available on request for groups.
- Pick up, drop off and bikes are all included, so it's totally stress free
- The beautiful & easy cycling through forests, rolling vineyards with ocean views, visiting local cellar doors.
- Tasting the incredible wines of the region and enjoying a local cheese platter & more for lunch
- An optional end of day dip at the beach to cool off on a warm summers day
- Making new friends whilst visiting one of Adelaide's prettiest regions.
Itinerary at a glance
McLaren Vale cycling tour itinerary
- You will be picked up in central Adelaide approx 8.30-9am and transferred to the start point, where you will be fitted out with a good quality mountain bike and helmet.
- Cycling starts in the beautiful Kuitpo forest, before joining the Kidman trail and then descending down Willunga Hill into McLaren Vale.
- Having warmed up, it's time for refreshments, and after teasing our tastebuds with vineyards all around us, we pick our favourite cellar doors for tastings. Based on time and the riding abilities of the group, a min or 2 (often more) wineries will be visited, together with a stop for lunch.
- The day sadly concludes with a welcome pick up and transport back to Adelaide. Vehicle support is included and any purchases and exhausted riders can be collected. A optional dip at the beach on a hot day!