Tour de New Zealand South Island Trails
Combine two of New Zealand’s most popular cycling trails on this incredible adventure.
Starting in Christchurch on the South Island, this unique cycling tour itinerary covers the best of both the Otago Rail Trail and the Alps to Ocean Trail, and includes the new Lake Dunstan extension.
Think dramatic lakes and rivers with the jaw dropping NZ Alps as your backdrop, quirky outback towns and pinot noir. Ride through farmland, gorges, tunnels, viaducts and explore the Otago gold rush history. A classic trip and unique to Tour de Vines.
Experience eight superb days of magnificent scenery on beautiful cycle trails. Cycle past our highest mountains, spectacular lakes, and rivers. Riding trails from Lake Tekapo to Middlemarch with surfaces similar to good unpaved roads. It is all easy to intermediate grades and is suitable for all ages.
The Lake Dunstan trail offers cyclists an easy, unique and fascinating 55km ride along Lake Dunstan, the Kawarau River and the mighty Clutha River Mata-au. Cyclists experiencing the trail will marvel at the man-made landscapes, the rich Maori and early pioneer history, and be able to amble through the vineyards of Bannockburn.
The Central Otago Rail Trail originally provided a vital link between Dunedin and the major goldfields of Central Otago. The Department of Conservation acquired the disused railway in 1993 and spent six years preparing and upgrading the route for use as a walking and cycling trail.
Highlights of biking the Rail Trail include the tunnels at Price's Creek and Poolburn Gorge, viaducts and wooden trestle bridges – and of course, the absence of motor traffic. The popularity of the Otago Rail Trail has breathed new life into many of the small towns of Central Otago and you will be able to admire the art deco buildings of towns such as Ranfurly, while enjoying excellent coffee and meals at classic country pubs.
What We Love about this New Zealand South Island Cycling Tour
- Cycling in the shadow of the dramatic Southern Alps and striking glacial lakes
- The spectacular Poolburn George with its tunnels and viaducts
- Prices Creek Viaduct and 152m long Prices Creek Tunnel
- The historic towns and quaint cafes and pubs along the Otago Rail Trail
- The fun small group atmosphere with your entertaining guides always ready to assist.
What's Included in your New Zealand South Island Cycling Tour
- 7 Nights quality accommodation
- 7 x breakfasts with coffee/tea/drinks as required
- 7 x lunches including winery lunch with wine tastings
- 6 x dinners as specified in itinerary
- An environmentally friendly water bottle
- A lightweight cycling t-shirt
- Transport throughout and support vehicle while cycling
- Luggage transfers and collection of any purchases each day.
- Service of a local experienced and informative ‘ride with’ guide throughout
A guaranteed great time and amazing memories!!
Cycling Tour New Zealand Dates
This unique itinerary has limited departures and limited places.
Dates and live availability are listed on the calendar below. For 22/23 season departing
- 17th Feb 2023
- 16th March 2023
Cycling Tour New Zealand Prices
Prices start at $A4,499 per person (double or twin share, single supp $900)
Optional extras available and can be booked online below are:
- Pre tour night in Christchurch $250 per room.
- Quality hybrid bike $350 or Electric assist bike $500.
Small Group Trips
Our small group fully guided tours are...well, awesome! We always receive rave reviews on these trips and this is because our guides are amazing and our guests always get along and have so many common interests. Your guide and support driver do everything for you (almost everything!) and so your holiday is completely stress free.
COVID Safe Practices
COVID Safe Practices apply to this tour, specifically:
- All guests are provided with face masks to be worn when in common areas and on any bus transfers
- All guests are provided with personal hand sanitiser for usage during the tour
- All equipment is sanitised pre and post every use including bikes and bus surfaces
- All venues visited are implementing safe distancing and sanitising procedures.
Quality Accredited Tourism Business
Tour de Vines is a Quality Tourism Accredited tour operator. You can be confident our equipment and service standards will meet your expectations.
Tour de Vines has been running tours in since 2002 and has been awarded the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 & 2022 and is now a Hall of Fame inductee. You can be assured we are a quality operator and want nothing more than for you to have an amazing travel experience.
Itinerary at a Glance
We depart Christchurch early, transfer to Lake Tekapo. Ride Braemer to Twizel. Lunch & dinner included. Overnight Twizel.
Total distance 42kms (flat)