Tour de Grand Gourmet – Cycling Tour North East Victoria
This 5 day/4 nights cycling tour North East Victoria is for anyone wanting to cover all the major sights and gourmet delights in this increasingly popular cycling region. Using the paved, largely flat, off road Murray to Mountains rail trail as the cycling path, you will taste the gourmet treats that abound in the north east Victoria region, as well as enjoying the incredible scenery and accessible and safe cycling paths. Starting in Beechworth, you will cycle to Milawa, Myrtleford and Bright over 4 nights.
This tour has 3 days cycling covering the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail in almost it’s entirety, a relatively easy 100kms with only 1 small and gentle uphill section on the second day. The cycling is suitable for even novice or beginner riders, and we now have electric assist bikes available if you have any doubts! The tour is fully supported with a van only a phone call away.
The Gourmet Treats
Our guests are often surprised at the quality of food and wine from the region. Your tour includes restaurant meals in the evenings, platter style feasts for lunch and full breakfasts throughout (with the all imporant coffee – or tea!). As a guest of Tour de Vines there exclusive food and wine tastings (e.g. food and wine pairing at beautiful Gapsted Winery on Day 3).
The tour represents remarkable value when you see what’s included:
- 4 nights accommodation (including beautiful Lindenwarrah in Milawa s.t availability)
- 4 x full breakfasts
- 3 x winery gourmet lunches (incl excl wine/food tasting at Gapsted Winery)
- 4 x restaurant quality dinners
- All produce and wine tastings stops & collection of any purchases you make
- Daily luggage transfers and on call support
- Return transfers from Bright to Beechworth at end of tour
- Detailed itinerary, marked maps & directions (although navigation is very easy)
- Environmentally friendly water bottle
- Lightweight fair trade cycling t-shirt
- Local guide throughout (on guided departure dates)
- Trek 24 gear hybrid or electric assist bikes available for hire
- Albury airport (Bris, Syd, Melb flights) or Wangaratta train station transfers available
Guided or Self Guided Cycling
This ‘Grand Gourmet’ cycling tour North East Victoria can be undertaken as a self guided tour on any day or date that suits you. Or you can choose to join one of our small group guided departures (see dates below), in a social fun atmosphere (max 10) of fellow riders. The cycling is the same for both versions, all fully supported.
Small Group Dates
Next Departure: Friday 3rd November 2017 (Melbourne Cup long weekend) – 10 places max.
- Cycling the brilliant, well laid Murray to Mountains Rail Trail
- Enjoy the historic and scenic town of Beechworth
- Learn the local gourmet secrets at a private Cooking class (group tour option only)
- Soak in the stunning Alpine scenery and get close to rural farm gates
- The food and wine! This is a tour for the true gourmands (or just those who love tasting food & wine!)
Itinerary at a glance
- Day 1: Own transport to Beechworth (3+ hours north east of Melbourne). Overnight in Beechworth + dinner
- Day 2: Breakfast, then cycle via the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail to Milawa+ wine tastings + lunch. Overnight in Milawa + dinner. Distance 30kms or option 62kms via Wangarratta
- Day 3: Breakfast, then cycle via the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail to Myrtleford + farm gates + winery lunch. Overnight in Myrtleford + dinner. Distance 43kms.
- Day 4: Breakfast, cycle via the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail to Bright + farm gates + winery lunch. Overnight in Bright + dinner. Distance 30kms
- Day 5: Breakfast + Cooking class in Bright and/or ride to Harrietville. Bus collection with bikes, luggage and purchases and transfer back to Beechworth.