Top Things To Do on The Great Victorian Rail Trail
There are heaps of fun things to do along the Great Victorian Rail Trail.
The great thing about rail trails is that they are off road, separated from traffic. So you can stop when you feel like it, take photos, and ride whilst admiring the views and fresh country air. You can ride slow. Ride fast, it's totally up to you. And being a rail trail the gradient - or dreaded "hills" - are always relatively flat.
Tour de Vines has a 3 night all inclusive package that will have you cycling the Great Victorian Rail Trail from Mansfield to Tallarook without a care in the world. Well, other than how many coffees to have in the morning and if a donut is appropriate for breakfast!
Things To Do by Town
The Great Victorian Rail Trail runs from Mansfield to Tallarook, so we have listed the Top Things To Do in order of those towns along the way.
Things to do in Mansfield
- Visit the Produce Store: If you eat, drink or like to shop for incredible produce...then you must go here. So basically go here.
- Enjoy a drink or meal at the local favourite The Mansfield Hotel.
- Visit the Mansfield Zoo. Yes, there is a zoo here and it's bloody good! This 30-acre zoo has over 100 native & exotic animals with feeding & overnight experiences. Awesome for families.
- Take a Hot Air Balloon flight. Watch the sunrise over the mountains on this incredible experience, worth the early start.
Things to do in Bonnie Doon
- Cross the iconic Bonnie Doon bridge on your bike! This is a highlight of riding the Great Victorian Rail Trail and is the perfect spot for that dreaded selfie!!
Things to do in Alexandra
- Visit the Alexandra Tramway Museum. If you're riding the Great Victorian Rail Trail this is a great way to get some historical perspective on how the trail came about. There is also the opportunity for a short joy ride on the old steam engines, which the kids just love! (check first limited times).
- On the ride on the Great Victorian Rail Trail from Alexandra to Yea (next town) is the Cheviote Tunnel. If you are cycling you will of course ride through this iconic landmark but it's worth a visit even if not riding, with informative signage on why and how the tunnel was built and the extraordinary lengths gone to for its' completion.
Things to do in Yea
- Visit or stay or eat or all of the above at The Peppercorn Hotel. A grand old girl stepped in history and gold mining stories. A classic country hotel.
- Take a walk over the Yea Swing bridge and enjoy the calming scenery. There is also a longer Yea Wetlands Walk especially good in the mornings and evenings not only for the abundant birdlife but the occasional platypus and koala.
- Pop into Marmalades of Yea for your sweet treat and all things vintage. Serves meals, coffee and drinks too.
Things to do in Tallarook
- Stop for lunch at the lovely Trawool Estate, the perfect way to "wine down" (!!) on the final ride into Tallarook.
- Finish riding the length of the Great Vic Rail Trail with a celebratory bevy of choice at another iconic country pub, the Tallarook Hotel (whilst waiting for your Tour de Vines pick up and transfer back to Mansfield perhaps!).
- There are some lovely old buildings in Tallarook itself so it's worth a brief wonder around town, including the refurbished Mechanics Institute.
Great Victorian Rail Trail Map
The Great Victorian Rail Trail runs in an east west direction, starting in Tallarook and finishing in Mansfield, with a side leg to Alexandra (or visa versa).
Great Victorian Rail Trail Package
Tour de Vines has a 3 night all inclusive self guided package that makes cycling the Great Victorian Rail Trail easy.
Ride at your own pace, savour the beautiful scenery and enjoy the safety of the off road rail trail, comfort in the knowledge that all the logistics are sorted for you.
Just get yourself to Mansfield and we do the rest. Luggage transfers, accommodation, directions, on call support and a return transfer back to Mansfield at the end are all included in this cycling tour package.
From solo riders, to families or a group of friends, this mini break is the perfect fresh air getaway.