Tour de Great Victorian Rail Trail – Self Guided
Ride the iconic Great Victorian Rail Trail at your own pace whilst Tour de Vines looks after all the logistics for you.
Victoria's longest Rail Trail starts in Mansfield, this stress free package includes 3 nights accommodation, breakfasts and a winery lunch, luggage moves, on call support with the option to BYO or hire bikes. Transfers back to Mansfield at the end of your ride can also be provided.
All you need to do is ride Victoria's longest rail trail, admire the views and soak in the relaxed country ambience on this wonderful getaway. Take all the stress out of your bike holiday and ride in the comfort of knowing you are fully supported throughout your trip.
The Great Victorian Rail Trail starts in Mansfield and runs all the way to Tallarook, with a side trip to Alexandra. The trail itself is a delight to ride with a packed gravel surface and gentle gradients. For many riders the highlights are the charming towns along the way, the rural scenery, the celebrated Cheviot Tunnel.
This 3 night/4 day Great Victorian Rail Trail cycling tour package is ideal if wanting the stress and logistics taken care of for you. The package includes accommodation, breakfasts, a winery lunch, meet and greet, luggage transfers, on call support with printed maps and detailed itinerary also supplied. Optional add ons are bike hire (quality Trek Dual Sport or E-bikes) and return transfers back to Mansfield at the end of your cycling.
The Great Victorian Rail Trail is the ideal long weekend getaway and can be enjoyed by even occasional cyclists.
What We Love About this Great Victorian Rail Trail Cycling Tour
- Safe and stress free cycling on the dedicated cycle path the Great Victorian Rail Trail
- Gorgeous views across rolling hills, distant snow capped mountains, lakes and rivers
- Wonderful array of fantastic food and wine to sample along the way
- The historic towns, goldrush architecture and the charm of ski town Mansfield
- The fun of cycling through Cheviote Tunnel, Victoria’s longest rail trail tunnel
- Relax knowing that all logistics of your trip are taken care of
What's Included in your Great Victorian Rail Trail Self Guided Tour Package?
This tour is great value.
We are local to the region (based in Beechworth) so the bikes, the buses and drivers are us and we don't outsource any of this. This results in lower costs and we pass these savings on to you.
Here is what's included in your Great Victorian Rail Trail tour package:
- 3 nights accommodation
- 2 x breakfasts (with coffee/tea including the lovely Grant St Grocer in Alexandra on available days)
- Lunch at the stunning Trawool Estate
- Bike delivery and collection if required (for hire bikes including e-bikes)
- Meet and greet on arrival
- Daily luggage transfers and any purchases collected
- On Call support throughout
- Tour kit with maps, printed itinerary, luggage tags and regional booklet
- Environmentally friendly cycling water bottle
- Fair trade lightweight cycling t-shirt
- Bikes available for hire: Trek FX 27 gears or Velectrix Urban E-bikes (step through and cross bar)*
Bikes can be booked online and are priced as follows:
- Trek FX hybrid with rear rack, pannier, water bottles & helmet included for $150
- Velectrix Urban e-bike with rear rack, pannier, water bottles & helmet included for $300
- Private transfers from Tallarook back to Mansfield are available if required at $150 (total regardless of size of group so divide by number of guests in your group).
This is a self guided cycling tour so you can start your ride on the Great Victorian Rail Trail any day or date that suits you. The only limitation is accommodation, so we strongly recommend booking as early as possible as quality venues are limited.
Typically accommodation will be:
Bonnie Doon: Bonnie Doon Hotel/Motel
Alexandra: The Corner Hotel
Yea: Peppercorn Hotel
See the calendar below for the latest prices and availability.
*Note: the there is a surcharge to be added post booking for any tours that are booked over public holidays equal to $100pp. This only partly makes up for the additional accommodation, food and staff costs incurred over public holidays. 🙂
Self guided cycling tours do require participants to be adaptable and able to solve issues whilst on tour. On call support is included in your tour, but it is expected that you will know how to repair punctures and make minor adjustments to gears, handlebars and seats if required, and if bringing your own bike then this is expected. For anything more serious, we will be able to assist with a call to our 1300 665 330 number at any time during your trip. You should be able to read a map and follows directions, either on a device or a printed map (supplied) and that you have a good sense of direction. Getting a little bit lost, or having to ask locals for directions is all part of choosing to travel on a self guided basis. The maps and directions provided to you is updated regularly and tailored to your specific trip (hotels, restaurants are noted, and marked). If this is something that makes your nervous or uncertain, or if you know for sure that you can’t fix a puncture or aren’t confident reading a map, then we do recommend our extensive range of small group fully guided tours where all the stress of navigation, bike maintenance and logistics are all done for you. However, if comfortable with this then the freedom of a self guided cycling trip is wonderful, and once confident can be the preferred choice across our range of cycling tours.
COVID Safe Practices
COVID Safe Practices apply to this tour, specifically:
- All guests are provided with face masks to be worn when in common areas and on any bus transfers
- All guests are provided with personal hand sanitiser for usage during the tour
- All equipment is sanitised pre and post every use including bikes and bus surfaces
- All venues visited are implementing safe distancing and sanitising procedures.
Quality Accredited Tourism Business
Tour de Vines is a Quality Tourism Accredited tour operator. You can be confident our equipment and service standards will meet your expectations.
Tour de Vines has been running tours in since 2002 and has been awarded the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020 and is now a Hall of Fame inductee. You can be assured we are a quality operator and want nothing more than for you to have an amazing travel experience.
Itinerary at a Glance
Arrive Mansfield. Meet & greet for last minute assistance & bike collection (if required) and ride to Bonnie Doon. Overnight.