Cycling Tour in Tasmania – Launceston to Hobart
Discover the incredible unspoilt beauty of this pristine region on this fully guided gourmet cycling tour in Tasmania. Explore the scenic east coast from Launceston to Hobart with a special stop at Freycinet National Park. Visit wineries, oyster farms, wildlife sanctuaries and stunning Wineglass Bay on this memorable adventure.
Tasmania is rightly regarded as one of world’s most pristine environments. Raw, unspoilt natural beauty and incredible fresh food, wine and culinary experiences. Lonely Planet named Tasmania in the Top 10 Places to Visit in 2015 and the accolades haven’t stopped since. This tour is the ultimate combination of fun, stress free cycling, beautiful scenery and gourmet food and wine experiences.
The Cycling - “Is it Hilly”?
Yes there are some hills on this itinerary, so we have graded this tour as intermediate to challenging. But, with our support van always nearby, this trip can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be. There are 6 days of cycling. The first day of cycling is on the relatively new North East Tasmania Rail Trail and is graded as easy. It's a great way to start and warm up the legs. The following days the cycling is on roads. Each day is structured so that those keen to ride a bit more can set out from the start, and those wishing to do less, can transfer to a start point and enjoy the cycling from there. The support vehicle is always close by and follows the group throughout. These shortened start points are normally at the top of a main rise so you avoid any serious hills. Having said all that, it is recommended that participants have done some cycling before arrival to maximise enjoyment.
It is also worth noting
- Using an E-bike would make this cycling tour in Tasmania very enjoyable and achievable for almost anyone. These are available to hire or you can BYO.
- There is a rest from cycling on Day 6 (after 4 days cycling) where we stay 2 nights in the stunning Freycinet National Park.
Freycinet National Park
This is an iconic National Park not only for Tasmania but internationally. The park includes famous Wineglass Bay, and we explore this stunning region on foot on a fully guided day hike (graded as easy). We get to savour this beautiful part of Tasmania with 2 nights in the luxurious Freycinet Lodge in the heart of this pristine environment.
What We Love on This Cycling Tour of Tasmania:
- Incredible scenery of the stunning east coast of Tasmania
- The amazing Tasmanian food and wine offerings including some special wine tastings and restaurants
- Cycling the North East Rail Trail and the back roads of Tasmania
- 2 nights at luxury Freycinet Lodge with National Park Guided walk to Wineglass Bay.
- Our guides & the small group, fun and social atmosphere on Tour de Vines' tours
Cycling Tour in Tasmania - What's Included
This tour is great value when you consider what's included*
- 8 nights accommodation in quality 4 star or equivalent properties (private rooms, ensuite)
- Tour includes 2 nights accommodation at the renowned Freycinet Lodge
- 8 x breakfasts, 3 x lunches and 5 x dinners
- Hike in Freycinet National Park with gourmet lunch, local guide and water taxi
- Wine tastings at some of Tasmania’s best vineyards
- Experienced, qualified ride with guide throughout
- Support vehicle and driver following at all times
- Arrival and departure transfers (start and end dates of tour only)
- Transport to MONA on last day (optional if required)
- Souvenir lightweight t-shirt, environmentally friendly water bottle, luggage tags
- BYO bikes at no extra cost
- Hire quality Trek FX hybrid bikes with pannier bags, water bottles for $250
- Hire quality Trek or similar E-Bike with pannier bags, water bottles for $500
*we have worked very hard to keep the single supplement to a minimum on this tour.
Cycling Tour in Tasmania Tour Dates
Season 2023/24 Dates are below, with each tour being 8 nights, starting as follows (please refer calendar section below for up to date dates, prices & availability):
- September 23
- October 14
- October 28 (full)
- November 18
- December 2
- December 16
- Saturday, 13 January 2024
- Saturday, 27 January 2024
- Saturday, 17 February 2024
- Saturday, 16 March 2024
- Saturday, 6 April 2024
Extras (can be booked online below)
- Trek FX Hyrbrid $250
- E-bikes $500
- Pre/Post tour accomm $250* (variations may occur subject to availability)
The group size on this tour is strictly limited to 10 riders, plus guide & driver.
This tour is 8 nights/9 days, with 6 days of guided cycling + 1 guided day hike.
Private tours are available for specific dates and groups subject to availability.
Why Travel with Tour de Vines?
Tour de Vines has been awarded Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and recently 2022, so you can be assured of great service and wonderful tour inclusions and value.
COVID Safe Practices
This tour complies with required COVID safe practices, including:
- All guests are provided and required to wear face masks when in the support bus
- All guests are provided personal hand sanitiser together with readily available sanitiser for the group
- All surfaces are disinfected after every use including bikes and bus surfaces.
"This biking tour was much more than the itinerary suggested. Scenery was made up of many hidden gems, rolling farmland, vineries, blue waters, forrests, red rocks, sunsets/sunrises, native birds and animals etc. The accommodation was boutique...Food and drink was fresh and local with many wine, beer, cheese,fruit, and ice cream tastings along the way. Meals ranged from fresh fish and chips eaten sitting looking over the fishing boats out to sea, to white tablecloth service, (always with a glass of local wine). The cycling ,I found challenging, but the support vehicle was alway on hand to help you out. The equipment was in excellent condition and was maintained and adapted to suit your needs by a professional. The Guides treat us like family members. Thank you for a wonderful holiday."
Itinerary at a Glance
Arrive Launceston. Transfers included. Meet your guide and fellow travellers. Group dinner (always fun) overnight in 4 star property in Launceston.