Cycling Tour in Tasmania – Launceston to Hobart
Discover the incredible unspoilt beauty of this pristine region on this fully guided gourmet cycling tour in Tasmania. Explore the scenic east coast from Launceston to Hobart with a special stop at Freycinet National Park. Visit wineries, oyster farms, wildlife sanctuaries and stunning Wineglass Bay on this memorable adventure.
Tasmania is rightly regarded as one of world’s most pristine environments. Raw, unspoilt natural beauty and incredible fresh food, wine and culinary experiences. Lonely Planet named Tasmania in the Top 10 Places to Visit in 2015 and the accolades haven’t stopped since. This tour is the ultimate combination of fun, stress free cycling, beautiful scenery and gourmet food and wine experiences.
The Cycling – “Is it Hilly”?
Yes there are some hills on this itinerary, so we have graded this tour as intermediate to challenging. But, with our support van always nearby, this trip can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be. There are 6 days of cycling. The first day of cycling is on the relatively new North East Tasmania Rail Trail and is graded as easy. It’s a great way to start and warm up the legs. The following days the cycling is on roads. Each day is structured so that those keen to ride a bit more can set out from the start, and those wishing to do less, can transfer to a start point and enjoy the cycling from there. The support vehicle is always close by and follows the group throughout. These shortened start points are normally at the top of a main rise so you avoid any serious hills. Having said all that, it is recommended that participants have done some cycling before arrival to maximise enjoyment.
It is also worth noting
- Using an E-bike would make this cycling tour in Tasmania very enjoyable and achievable for almost anyone. These are available to hire or you can BYO.
- There is a rest from cycling on Day 6 (after 4 days cycling) where we stay 2 nights in the stunning Freycinet National Park.
Freycinet National Park
This is an iconic National Park not only for Tasmania but internationally. The park includes famous Wineglass Bay, and we explore this stunning region on foot on a fully guided day hike (graded as easy). We get to savour this beautiful part of Tasmania with 2 nights in the luxurious Freycinet Lodge in the heart of this pristine environment.
Cycling Tour in Tasmania – What’s Included
This tour is great value when you consider what’s included*
- 8 nights accommodation in quality 4 star or equivalent properties (private rooms, ensuite)
- 8 x breakfasts, 3 x lunches and 6 x dinners (2 courses)
- Hike in Freycinet National Park with gourmet lunch, local guide and water taxi
- Use of quality Trek hybrid bikes (& helmets) or hire Electric-assist bikes (small supplement of $A250)
- Wine tastings at some of Tasmania’s best vineyards
- Experienced, qualified ride with guide throughout
- Support vehicle and driver following at all times
- Arrival and departure transfers (start and end dates of tour only)
- Transport to MONA on last day if required
- Souvenir lightweight t-shirt, environmentally friendly water bottle, luggage tags
*we have worked very hard to keep the single supplement to a minimum on this tour.
Cycling Tour in Tasmania Tour Dates
Start 29th January 2021 from Launceston finish Hobart 6th February 2021 – Availability Limited*
The group size on this tour is strictly limited to 10 riders, plus guide & driver.
This tour is 8 nights/9 days, with 6 days of guided cycling + 1 guided day hike.
Discounts are available for groups of 6 or more made in a single booking
Private tours for groups of 6 or more are available at the same advertised rate on any day or date.
- Cycling the North East Tasmania Rail Trail near Launceston
- Visit iconic Wineglass Bay and hiking in the pristine Freycinet National Park
- Incredible rolling ocean scenery, wildlife and stunning views whilst cycling
- Wine tasting at some of Australia’s best vineyards
- Experience the charming cities of Launceston and Hobart and the gourmet treats on offer
- Riding in a group and the fun, social atmosphere of a Tour de Vines trip
Itinerary at a glance
Day 2: Transfer to Lilydale, cycle the North East Tasmania Rail Trail. 30kms. Overnight Scottsdale in beautiful heritage accommodation.
Day 3: Cycling to St Helens. 43 or 73kms (mainly downhill!). Overnight in ocean view accommodation.
Day 4: Cycling the stunning east coast of Tasmania to Bicherno (45 or 75kms). Some hills today but amazing scenery. Scenic picnic lunch.
Day 5: Cycling to Freycinet National Park, mainly downhill (2 uphills that are short and achievable for most). We enjoy a winery lunch today as we arrive at the stunning Freycinet Lodge.
Day 6: A relaxed guided hike in Freycinet with views of Wineglass Bay. Gourmet picnic lunch and water taxi transfer back to the Lodge for another night in luxury!
Day 7: Cycling to Triabunna (48 or 73kms) An initial transfer to the top of a long hill at Apslawn, so we can roll our way down to Triabunna. Again endless ocean scenery. Wine tasting included.
Day 8: Cycling to Hobart (43kms or 88kms) Our final day on the bikes. Visit historic Richmond and the Coal River Valley. Bus transfer into Hobart (1 hr). Celebratory group dinner.
Day 9: Onward journey. Transfers provided on this day, transport to MONA also provided for those staying on. Sad farewells and a sense of achievement.