Tour de Great Taste Trail – Cycling Tour from Nelson NZ
As the name suggests, this cycling tour on the Great Taste Trail is a journey into food and wine country on the south island of New Zealand. Starting and ending in the scenic, seaside town of Nelson, this tour will delight with the array of wonderful local produce, including some incredible wines!
Tour de Vines is running an exclusive fully guided small group cycling tour of the Great Taste Trail on select dates (see below). The tour completes the full cycling loop of the trail, a total of 159kms over 5 nights and 6 days. You will visit a number of local cellar doors to taste some gorgeous wines, as well as enjoy majestic mountain and ocean vistas. Fully guided, fully supported and heaps of fun, this stress free escape will have you feeling refreshed, revived and alive!
We also take advantage of the pristine environment that surrounds us, with a full day visiting the absolutely stunning Abel Tasman National Park. This is a tour highlight with optional activities including cycling, kayaking, trekking or dolphin spotting.
You will be cycling one of the ‘great cycling trails’ of New Zealand – or Nga Haeranga – as they are known locally. The Great Taste Trail is graded as easy to intermediate, with a couple of hill sections over the 4 days of cycling. A combination of paved trails, quiet country roads and gravel tracks, the majority of cycling is on flat, scenic terrain and is a delight to ride. Average daily distances are 30-40kms. The tour will complete the full Great Taste Trail loop, and includes a short shuttle section to keep you off the steep dirt tracks. High quality 24 gear hybrid bikes are included, or choose an e-bike to make the ride a little easier, or if you have any concerns about your riding ability. Support is never far away.
Check out this little video clip for a taste of cycling the Great Taste trail!
This cycling tour is amazing value when you see what’s included:
- 5 nights accommodation (ensuite hotel or B&B style)
- 5 x full breakfasts, 3 x restaurant dinners, 1 x winery lunch, 2 x picnic lunches
- Excellent, well maintained bikes with pannier/carry bags included (e-bikes available)
- Fully guided with on call support/sag wagon never far away
- All food and wine tastings and outlet visits
- Boat transfers to and from Abel Tasman National Park, park entry, fully guided walk
- Pick up and drop off transfers (airport or ferry or bus terminal on start & end dates of tour)
- Lightweight fair trade cycling t-shirt and environmentally friendly water bottle
- Amazing memories, new friends and an incredible new set of photos!
Nelson & How To Get There
Nelson is a lovely seaside town on the northern tip of the South Island of NZ. Known for local arts and crafts stores, and art galleries, as well as vineyards and the Abel Tasman National Park. Most importantly, the weather is similar in climate to the mediterranean, and often claims the highest annual sunshine hours in New Zealand. It’s perfect for cycling! During summer temperatures in Nelson vary from 13 ̊ C to 22 ̊ C so we have timed our group departure dates to make the best of the weather. Visit the New Zealand tourism website for how to get there details.
Group Tour Dates 2019/20
Friday 1st November 2019. LIMITED
Saturday 25th January 2020. AVAILABLE
Saturday 15th February 2020. FULL
Friday 6th March 2020 – AVAILABLE
Friday 10th April 2020 (Easter). LIMITED
Saturday 31st October 2020. AVAILABLE
- Cycle the safe, off road Great Taste Trail whilst admiring ocean and mountain views
- Visit the stunning Abel Tasman National park, kayak with dolphins, trek the coastal path & more
- Taste your way around some of NZs best food and wine
- Enjoy the security, stress free atmosphere of a social group of fellow riders
Itinerary at a glance
Arrive Nelson, enjoy dinner with your guide and fellow cyclists. Overnight
Cycle the Great Taste Trail to Wakefield follow the coastal trail, gourmet lunch. 30kms
Cycle to Kaiteriteri with incredible mountain scenery along the way. Short shuttle over the big hill. Winery lunch. 45kms including a long downhill! Overnight Kaiteriteri
An amazing day visiting the Abel Tasman National Park, optional activities include cycling, trekking, kayaking, boat tours ,or just relaxing. Overnight Kaiteriteri.
Cycle to Mapua following oceanside trails and visiting food outlets and a local brewery! 33kms
Cycle back to Nelson, there is 1 very short hill to ride. We enjoy a wonderful seaside lunch. 31kms. We can transfer you for your onward journey or book an additional night in Nelson (not included). Sadly our tour has come to an end!