Murray to Mountains Rail Trail Cycling Tour – Self Guided
A combination of easy, safe and supported cycling on the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail makes this the perfect getaway. This self guided package includes accommodation for 2 nights, luggage moves, food & wine tastings and local experiences in the increasingly popular gourmet hub of north east Victoria.
Ride the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail from Beechworth to Bright over 2 days (see more about beautiful Beechworth here), cycling a total distance of 72kms. Don’t be daunted by the cycling distance. The vast majority of the trail from Beechworth is flat or downhill and with numerous food and wine stops. Just about anyone can complete the riding comfortably. In fact, we are yet to have a ‘sag wagon’ (support bus) pick up, but that’s always an option for you. Your detailed guide directs you to visit the best cellar doors in the region, and Gourmet Traveller agrees (see our blog post Australia’s best cellar doors).
This is a self guided cycling tour, which means you are free to cycle at your own pace, stop where and when you want, linger for an extra tasting at a cellar door. Feel free to stop to take photos where and when you like of the beautiful Alpine Valley. We do all the work for you, including all accommodation and meal bookings, luggage transfers and bikes if needed. We will even pick up all that food and wine you can't resist buying along the way.
What We Love About this Cycling Tour on the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail:
- Exploring the historic and beautiful town of Beechworth
- Cycling the iconic Murray to Mountains Rail Trail whilst enjoying beautiful Alpine scenery
- Visiting unique produce outlets
- Tasting the wonderful range of high quality wines from local cellar doors, including an exclusive wine tasting and food accompaniment at Gapsted Winery (always a highlight)
What's Included in your Murray to Mountains Tour
- Two (2) nights 3.5/4 star accommodation
- 2 x cooked breakfasts with coffee/tea
- 2 x gourmet winery platter lunches including an exclusive wine tasting at Gapsted Winery
- 1 x 2 course restaurant dinner in Beechworth
- 1 x dinner in Myrtleford
- Daily luggage transfers
- Return transfer from Bright back to Beechworth (or onward to train station or airport)
- Pick up of any purchases you make along the way (wine, food, other stuff often gets purchased by guests sampling all the treats along the ride)
- All bookings made for your group, printed itinerary, marked maps/directions
- Environmentally friendly cycling water bottle
- Fair trade lightweight cycling t-shirt
- On call support for any issues or nasty weather
- Quality, new Trek FX 24 gear hybrid OR Electric assists bikes are available for hire
This Murray to Mountains Cycling tour can be enjoyed any day or date of the year (subject to accommodation availability). So pick a date*, grab your partner or friends, and enjoy this wonderful escape in North East Victoria.
See prices on the calendar below.
Note, there is a peak season supplement from 1 March to 31 May each year to cover increased accommodation costs.
There is a $50pp surcharge for tours that include or directly shoulder any Australian or Victorian public holiday dates.
Self guided cycling tours do require participants to be adaptable and able to solve issues whilst on tour. On call support is included in your tour, but it is expected that you will know how to repair punctures and make minor adjustments to gears, handlebars and seats if required, and if bringing your own bike then this is expected. For anything more serious, we will be able to assist with a call to our 1300 665 330 number at any time during your trip. You should be able to read a map and follow directions, either on a device or a printed map (supplied) and that you have a good sense of direction. Getting a little bit lost, or having to ask locals for directions is all part of choosing to travel on a self guided basis. The maps and directions provided to you is updated regularly and tailored to your specific trip (hotels, restaurants are noted, and marked). If this is something that makes your nervous or uncertain, or if you know for sure that you can’t fix a puncture or aren’t confident reading a map, then we do recommend our extensive range of small group fully guided tours where all the stress of navigation, bike maintenance and logistics are all done for you. However, if comfortable with this then the freedom of a self guided cycling trip is wonderful, and once confident can be the preferred choice across our range of cycling tours.
COVID Safe Practices apply to this tour, specifically:
- All guests are provided with face masks to be worn when in common areas and on any bus transfers
- All guests are provided with personal hand sanitiser for usage during the tour
- All equipment is sanitised pre and post every usage including bikes and bus surfaces
Tour de Vines has been running tours in since 2002 and has been awarded the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020 and is now a Hall of Fame inductee. You can be assured we are a quality operator and want nothing more than for you to have an amazing travel experience.
"This trip was above and beyond expectations. The hospitality of...selected venues was simply outstanding, and made for a very special adventure. It is a credit to you and your team how well we were looked after by the restaurants, wineries and accomodation. Goes to show if you look after them they look after us!!! Highly recommended experience. Will certainly consider your other options around the place."
Itinerary at a Glance
Arrive in Beechworth anytime, wonder the town and enjoy your included gourmet dinner.
Frequently Asked Questions
You have the choice to BYO (bring your own) bike or you can hire from our quality fleet.
Choose from new Trek FX hybrid bike with 27 gears, water bottle holder, rear rack and lightweight bags for carrying any incidentals.
Or our new Velectrix E-bikes, which are so much fun.
This tour is graded as easy.
We deliberately start your cycling in Beechworth, being elevated at over 400 meters, means you literally roll out of town on the first day.
There is one gradual and low gradient hill on the first day of cycling just before lunch (Taylors Gap). For most riders this is not a challenge.
Hire an e-bike if you have any doubts about your cycling ability and this will significantly increase your enjoyment.
Actual accommodation will depend on your dates and how many in your group. But we typically use central, comfortable ensuite hotels in each town.
Beechworth - Armour Motor Inn
Myrtleford - Motel on Alpine
Accommodation upgrades are avaialble upon request and can be requested when booking online (see below)