Murray to Mountains Rail Trail Cycling Tour – Self Guided
It’s a long tour title we know, but it aptly describes this fantastic cycling tour. A combination of easy, safe and supported cycling on the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail, including accommodation for 2 nights, food & wine tastings, tutorials and local experiences in the increasingly popular gourmet hub of north east Victoria.
The tour uses the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail from Beechworth to Bright over 2 days (checkout out a little about beautiful Beechworth here), cycling a total distance of 72kms. Don’t be daunted by that number, the vast majority of the trail from Beechworth is flat or downhill and with numerous food and wine stops, just about anyone can complete the riding comfortably. In fact, we are yet to have a ‘sag wagon’ (support bus) pick up, but that’s always an option for you. This tour visits the best cellar doors in the region, and Gourmet Traveller agrees (see our blog post Australia’s best cellar doors).
This is a self guided cycling tour, which means you are free to cycle at your own pace, stop where and when you want, linger for an extra tasting at a cellar door or stop to take even more photos of the beautiful Alpine Valley on the Murray to Mountains cycling trail (we do offer this same itinerary as a guided small group tour if preferred). We do all the work for you, including all accommodation and meal bookings, luggage transfers and bikes if needed. We will even pick up all that food and wine you can’t resist buying along the way.
Your tour includes:
- 2 x nights 3.5/4 star accomodation
- 2 x breakfasts
- 2 x gourmet winery platter lunches including an exclusive wine tasting at Gapsted Winery
- 1 x 2 course restaurant dinner in Beechworth
- 1 x dinner in Myrtleford
- Daily luggage transfers
- Return transfer from Bright back to Beechworth (or onward to train station or airport)
- Pick up of any purchases you make along the way (wine, food, other stuff often gets purchased by guests sampling all the treats along the ride)
- All bookings made for your group, printed itinerary, marked maps/directions
- Environmentally friendly cycling water bottle
- Fair trade lightweight cycling t-shirt
- On call support for any issues or nasty weather
- Quality, new Trek FX 24 gear hybrid OR Electric assists bikes are available for hire
This Murray to Mountains Cycling tour can be enjoyed any day or date of the year (subject to accommodation availability of course). So pick a date*, grab your partner or friends, and enjoy this wonderful escape in North East Victoria.
*Accommodation can book out for peak holiday and long weekend dates so it’s wise to book any preferred dates early. There is a $50pp surcharge for tours that include any Victorian public holiday dates
- Exploring historic and beautiful town of Beechworth
- Cycling the iconic Murray to Mountains Rail Trail whilst enjoying beautiful Alpine scenery
- Visiting unique produce outlets
- Tasting the wonderful range of high quality wines from local cellar doors, including an exclusive wine tasting and food accompaniment at Gapsted Winery (always a highlight)
Itinerary at a glance
Arrive in Beechworth anytime, wonder the town and enjoy your included dinner
After a sumptuous breakfast, cycle the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail stopping at wineries and other outlets, including a gourmet winery lunch before arriving in Myrtleford. Dinner & overnight. Cycling distance 43kms
A relaxing sleep in, breakfast and a gorgeous cycle to Bright, again stopping for produce and wine tastings. After a bit of time to enjoy Bright, you & your bikes are collected and transferred back to Beechworth. Cycling distance 30kms.
Testimonials & reviews"This trip was above and beyond expectations. The hospitality of...selected venues was simply outstanding, and made for a very special adventure. It is a credit to you and your team how well we were looked after by the restaurants, wineries and accomodation. Goes to show if you look after them they look after us!!! Highly recommended experience. Will certainly consider your other options around the place."
Bronwyn B October 2019