Murray to Mountains Rail Trail Cycling Tour – Self Guided
A combination of easy, safe and supported cycling on the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail makes this the perfect getaway. This self guided package includes accommodation for 2 nights, luggage moves, food & wine tastings and local experiences in the increasingly popular gourmet hub of north east Victoria.
Ride the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail from Beechworth to Bright over 2 days (see more about beautiful Beechworth here), cycling a total distance of 72kms. Don’t be daunted by the cycling distance. The vast majority of the trail from Beechworth is flat or downhill and with numerous food and wine stops. Just about anyone can complete the riding comfortably. In fact, we are yet to have a ‘sag wagon’ (support bus) pick up, but that’s always an option for you. Your detailed guide directs you to visit the best cellar doors in the region, and Gourmet Traveller agrees (see our blog post Australia’s best cellar doors).
This is a self guided cycling tour, which means you are free to cycle at your own pace, stop where and when you want, linger for an extra tasting at a cellar door. Feel free to stop to take photos where and when you like of the beautiful Alpine Valley. We do all the work for you, including all accommodation and meal bookings, luggage transfers and bikes if needed. We will even pick up all that food and wine you can't resist buying along the way.
What We Love About this Cycling Tour:
- Exploring historic and beautiful town of Beechworth
- Cycling the iconic Murray to Mountains Rail Trail whilst enjoying beautiful Alpine scenery
- Visiting unique produce outlets
- Tasting the wonderful range of high quality wines from local cellar doors, including an exclusive wine tasting and food accompaniment at Gapsted Winery (always a highlight)
What's Included in your Murray to Mountains Tour
- Two (2) nights 3.5/4 star accommodation
- 2 x breakfasts
- 2 x gourmet winery platter lunches including an exclusive wine tasting at Gapsted Winery
- 1 x 2 course restaurant dinner in Beechworth
- 1 x dinner in Myrtleford
- Daily luggage transfers
- Return transfer from Bright back to Beechworth (or onward to train station or airport)
- Pick up of any purchases you make along the way (wine, food, other stuff often gets purchased by guests sampling all the treats along the ride)
- All bookings made for your group, printed itinerary, marked maps/directions
- Environmentally friendly cycling water bottle
- Fair trade lightweight cycling t-shirt
- On call support for any issues or nasty weather
- Quality, new Trek FX 24 gear hybrid OR Electric assists bikes are available for hire
- Personal face masks and hand sanitisers also supplied
This Murray to Mountains Cycling tour can be enjoyed any day or date of the year (subject to accommodation availability). So pick a date*, grab your partner or friends, and enjoy this wonderful escape in North East Victoria.
See prices on the calendar below.
There is a $50pp surcharge for tours that include or directly shoulder any Australian or Victorian public holiday dates.
"This trip was above and beyond expectations. The hospitality of...selected venues was simply outstanding, and made for a very special adventure. It is a credit to you and your team how well we were looked after by the restaurants, wineries and accomodation. Goes to show if you look after them they look after us!!! Highly recommended experience. Will certainly consider your other options around the place."
Itinerary at a Glance
Arrive in Beechworth anytime, wonder the town and enjoy your included gourmet dinner.
After a sumptuous breakfast, cycle the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail stopping at wineries and other outlets, including a gourmet winery lunch before arriving in Myrtleford. Dinner & overnight.
Cycling distance 43kms
A relaxing sleep in, breakfast and a gorgeous cycle to Bright, again stopping for produce and wine tastings. After a bit of time to enjoy Bright, you & your bikes are collected and transferred back to Beechworth.
Cycling distance 30kms.
Frequently Asked Questions
You have the choice to BYO (bring your own) bike or you can hire from our quality fleet.
Choose from new Trek FX hybrid bike with 27 gears, water bottle holder, rear rack and lightweight bags for carrying any incidentals.
Or our new Velectrix E-bikes, which are so much fun.
This tour is graded as easy.
We deliberately start your cycling in Beechworth, being elevated at over 400 meters, means you literally roll out of town on the first day.
There is one gradual and low gradient hill on the first day of cycling just before lunch (Taylors Gap). For most riders this is not a challenge.
Hire an e-bike if you have any doubts about your cycling ability and this will significantly increase your enjoyment.
Actual accommodation will depend on your dates and how many in your group. But we typically use central, comfortable ensuite hotels in each town.
Beechworth - Armour Motor Inn
Myrtleford - Motel on Alpine
Accommodation upgrades are avaialble upon request and can be requested when booking online (see below)