Tour de Cycle Wine Tour Hawkes Bay – Self guided
This 5 day/4 night self guided cycling itinerary ‘Tour de Hawkes Bay’ will suit those looking for easy outdoor activity and to experience the best that the gorgeous Hawkes Bay region has to offer.
For wine lovers, the cycling on Day 2 is the highlight, as you will be picked up from the Gimblett Gravels Appellation at the end of the day so you can enjoy the many cellar doors (about 11) without having to cycle home to your accommodation! Ride the river trails in the morning then enjoy the afternoon at the wineries.
This is a self-guided tour, but support is never far away. A support vehicle is available on call and we arrange everything for you so you can cycle, relax and enjoy your holiday. There is a total of 4 days of cycling, with more than 80% using the off road, easy Hawkes Bay trails.
Make sure you request your Cycling Tour Hawkes Bay itinerary below for a detailed tour run down.
What We Love About This Cycling Tour in Hawkes Bay
- Visit New Zealand’s oldest winery - The Mission Estate winery, as well as Church Rd Winery and Moana Park, all gorgeous historic cellar doors.
- Stop into Elephant Hill and Clearview Estate for tastings of world class reds & whites
- Choose from motel or unique local lodges and B&B style accommodation.
- Experience the fantastic, safe, off road Hawkes Bay Cycling Trails, part of the greater network of cycling trails in New Zealand.
What's Included in Your Cycling Tour in Hawkes Bay:
- 4 nights quality accommodation (2 nights at lovely Crown Hotel in Napier at start and end)
- 3 x gourmet winery lunches from award winning venues
- 3 x restaurant meals (2 course)
- All wine tastings (and there a few if you so choose!)
- Daily luggage transfers
- Hire of quality hybrid/MTB style bike with 24/27 gears, bottle holders, carry bags
- On call support throughout
- Environmentally friendly cycling water bottle
- Lightweight fair-trade made cycling t-shirt
- Printed itinerary with marked maps and directions
You can enjoy this cycling tour on any day or date that suits you, subject only to accommodation availability.
Please note there is a $A100 per person supplement added post booking for tours that run over any New Zealand public holidays and long weekends.
COVID Safe Practices apply to this tour, specifically:
- All guests are provided with face masks to be worn when in common areas and on any bus transfers
- All guests are provided with personal hand sanitiser for usage during the tour
- All equipment is sanitised pre and post every use including bikes and bus surfaces
- Venues visited (eg accommodation) adhere to COVID safe hygiene and social distancing rules (when last checked)
Tour de Vines has been running tours in since 2002 and has been awarded the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020 and is now a Hall of Fame inductee. You can be assured we are a quality operator and want nothing more than for you to have an amazing travel experience.
It was an amazing tour with beautiful scenery, fantastic accommodation and amazing meals. We were not regular cyclists and we managed the distances comfortably. The lunch platters were incredible and the dinners at night were all different and all delicious. I couldn't think of a better way to take in the sights of such an amazing place. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone who has a love of the outdoors, a bit of exercise and sampling delicious food and wine. It was a very well organised tour and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly.
Itinerary at a Glance
Arrive into Napier and enjoy your first gourmet dinner and overnight at the lovely ocean front Crown Hotel. Napier is stunning restored Art Deco town well worth exploring.
Cycle Napier to Havelock North – Via the Cape Coast. Cycling today is stunningly scenic and includes a number of wineries. Overnight Havelock north.
Cycling distance 50kms
Today you cycle from Havelock North to Taradale via the famous Gimblett Gravels Wineries and it's the highlight of the tour. There’s much to enjoy as you spend time focussing on the wonderful cellar doors of the area. A special winery lunch is included. The iconic Puketapu Pub is the perfect stop for refreshments before the easy 10km cycle on the Puketapu Loop trail. Overnight Taradale.
Cycling distance 45kms.
Cycle from Taradale to Ahuriri today on the gorgeous Estuary Trail & Bay View with two extra special winery visits. The much awarded Church Rd Winery & New Zealand’s oldest winery, The Mission Estate. Lunch included. The final part of the route is along the coastal path from Bay View to Westshore beach and back to Napier. Overnight back at the Crown Hotel. Restaurant dinner is included tonight.
Cycling distance 30kms.
Enjoy a cooked breakfast before making arrangements for your onward journey.
Frequently Asked Questions
Quality hybrid style bikes are included in your tour price. Lightweight carry bags are included and water bottles and cages.
Quality E-bikes are available for an additional supplement of $A250 per bike
You have 2 options on this tour in terms of standard of accommodation:
- 3.5 star standard throughout which would include ensuite hotel (some with pools), or
- Upgrade to premium style 4/4.5 star or equivalent including boutique B&B (small groups only).
For both levels in Napier we use the Crown Hotel.
Exact venue selection does very much depend on your dates and group size.
Yes, additional nights accommodation can be included in your tour package.