Tour de Cycle Wine Tour Hawkes Bay – Self guided
This Cycling Wine tour of Hawkes Bay NZ is the perfect way to experience this beautiful and abundant region of North East New Zealand. Hawkes Bay is a surprising sun soaked area, enabling you to forget the car and enjoy the incredible wines on offer in the oldest wine region in New Zealand.
This 5 day/4 night self guided cycling itinerary ‘Tour de Hawkes Bay’ will suit those looking for easy outdoor activity & to experience the best that the gorgeous Hawkes Bay region has to offer. For wine lovers, the cycling on Day 2 is the highlight, as you will be picked up from the Gimblett Gravels Appellation at the end of the day so you can enjoy the many cellar doors (about 11) without having to cycle home to your accommodation! Ride the river trails in the morning then enjoy the afternoon at the wineries.
See The Top 6 Reasons to Cycle in Hawkes Bay blog post.
This is a self-guided tour, but we are never far away. A support vehicle is available on call and we arrange everything for you so you can cycle, relax and enjoy your holiday. There is a total of 4 days of cycling, with more than 80% using the off road, easy trails.
Make sure you request your Cycle Wine Tour Hawkes Bay itinerary below for a detailed tour run down.
What’s included in your cycle wine tour in Hawkes Bay package:
- 4 nights quality accommodation (2 nights at lovely Crown Hotel in Napier at start and end)
- 3 x gourmet winery lunches from award winning venues
- 3 x restaurant meals (2 course)
- All wine tastings (and there a few if you so choose!)
- Daily luggage transfers
- Hire of quality hybrid/MTB style bike with 24/27 gears, bottle holders, carry bags
- On call support throughout
- Environmentally friendly cycling water bottle
- Lightweight fair-trade made cycling t-shirt
- Printed itinerary with marked maps and directions
Being self guided, you can enjoy this cycling tour on any day or date that suits you, subject only to accommodation availability. Please note there is a $A100 per person supplement added post booking for tours that run over NZ public holidays and long weekends.
- Visit New Zealand’s oldest winery - The Mission Estate winery, as well as Church Rd Winery and Moana Park, all gorgeous historic cellar doors.
- Stop into Elephant Hill and Clearview Estate for tastings of world class reds & whites
- Choose from motel or unique local lodges and B&B style accommodation.
- Experience the fantastic, safe, off road Hawkes Bay Cycling Trails, part of the greater network of cycling trails in New Zealand.
Itinerary at a glance
Arrive into Napier and enjoy your first gourmet dinner and overnight at the lovely ocean front Crown Hotel
Cycle Napier to Havelock North – Via the Cape Coast. Cycling today is stunningly scenic and includes a number of wineries. Overnight Havelock north. Cycling distance 50kms.
Today you cycle from Havelock North to Taradale via the famous Gimblett Gravels Wineries and it's the highlight of the tour. There’s much to enjoy as you spend time focussing on the wonderful cellar doors of the area. A special winery lunch is included. The iconic Puketapu Pub is the perfect stop for refreshments before the easy 10km cycle on the Puketapu Loop trail. Overnight Taradale. Cycling distance 45kms.
Cycle from Taradale to Ahuriri today on the gorgeous Estuary Trail & Bay View with two extra special winery visits. The much awarded Church Rd Winery & New Zealand’s oldest winery, The Mission Estate. Lunch included. The final part of the route is along the coastal path from Bay View to Westshore beach and back to Napier. Overnight back at the Crown Hotel. Restaurant dinner is included tonight. Cycling distance 30kms.
Enjoy a cooked breakfast before making arrangements for your onward journey.